Thursday, June 23, 2011

Introduction

Blogs are tricky things. Everyone's doing it now, so it's hard to gain the kind of internet celebrity garnered by early bloggers. Then again, if you're doing it for celebrity, you're probably pretty desperate and slightly crazy. You have to be to get famous on the internet anymore.

But the reason most people start blogging is because they have something to say that they think other people, more people than they know in real life, should hear. This is my third blog. The first is defunct; it was started after I watched Julie and Julia, and I just wanted to blog about anything--but I didn't really cook, didn't really travel, etc. So I blogged every day about something beautiful that I saw in the world or in myself. Nice concept, but not interesting to many people.

My second blog, Sexed, was for my independent study, a feminist study of sex in literature. Not Harlequin, not racy romance books, but legitimate, in-the-literary-canon literature. Now that I'm graduated, it's on hiatus until I start reading sexy literature again.

But now, I'm a graduate with a job of variable hours where most days, I have hours to kill at home. Now that I'm an adult, it's unacceptable to me to sleep half my day away, but that leaves so much time to kill!

So lately I've found myself experimenting with different hobbies. Some, like drawing and painting, used to be big hobbies of mine until college and a part-time job sucked all the time out of my life. Others, like baking, are completely new, because I need to throw in new things every now and then so that I don't get tired of the old.

And that's when it hit me.

I will be, for the foreseeable future, be constantly on the hunt for new ways to occupy my time. Writing about those things would take up even more time. I would always have something to write about, and any readers I got could get involved by trying the things that I'm doing, or offering me suggestions. It would be random enough to be interesting!

And so, a blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment